Tuesday, September 25, 2012

What Raw Detox Level Are You?

So yesterday I mentioned that I first thought the level I needed to start on a Raw Diet would have been level 4 of the 5 levels - 5 being most advanced in the detox process.  This didn't seem right since I my diet has been so clean and healthy for so many weeks.  I think the goal for this questionnaire is to make sure that someone newly venturing into a raw diet doesn't over reach and start on a diet that's too rigorous for the person to be successful.

So - where would you fall on the detox continuum?  Here's the questions to determine where you should start your transition to a raw diet.


  1. Were you raised on sugared cereals, "TV dinners", and fast food? 
  2. Are you a smoker or have you smoked for over eight years?
  3. Are meat, potatoes, white flour, animal fats, cooked oils, and white sugar a part of your normal eating pattern?
  4. Do you have a history of drug use or have you taken birth control and/ or other hormones, steroids, or undergone chemotherapy?
  5. Do you have a history of IBS, constipation, colitis, or other bowel / digestive disorders? 
  6. Are you over 40 years old?
  7. Are you between 20 and 30 pounds overweight?
  8. Are you more than 80 pounds overweight?
  9. Do you suffer from asthma, bronchial infections, chronic colds and flu, or other mucosal conditions?
  10. Do you have a sedentary lifestyle?
  11. Are dairy products a mainstay of your diet?
  12. Do you eat animal protein more than four times a week?
  13. Do you eat soy products on a regular basis (soy milk, tofu, soy chips, soy meats, etc)?
  14. Do you consume more than three sodas (diet or otherwise) each week?
  15. Do you suffer from liver disorder, acne psoriasis or other skin disorders?
Score 2 points for every yes - 1 for every sometimes and zero for every no.

If you have 20+ points start at level 5 as you're probably not as into veggies as some of the rest of us.

14-19 points - start at level 4 where you'll make some changes but not terribly drastic.

8-13 points - start at level 3.  You are probably the type that is very interested in making changes and looking for a way to get started.

4-7 points - start at level 2 if you really enjoy primarily uncooked foods in your diet.  You have no problem eating raw all day or at least until dinner.

Less than 3 points - a level 1.  Usually eat raw and have cooked food possibly once or twice a week.


The book then goes on to lay out five different plans based upon the amount of raw food one should consume given the level you've picked for yourself.  My plan is to complete level 2 this week and move on to the level 1 menus next week.  I'll try and review some other areas of the book as we go on.  Let's get to yesterday's menu and the ratings.

Day 1:
Morning: Fresh Fruit
Mid-morning:Green Lemonade
Lunch: Raw Rainbow Salad, Carrot-Ginger Dressing
Snack; Green Lemonade
Dinner: Power Soup
Dessert: Raw Chocolate Ice Cream

At this level Ms Rose - who is a clinical nutritionist actually has you delay eating in the mornings until you are hungry.  I suppose on one level that is good that you are not eating if you're not hungry but on the other hand I think there's a lot of evidence that states that eating gets your metabolism going.  I try and eat some fresh fruit an hour after I take my thyroid medicine.

You will see that she recommends drinking a schooner of Green Lemonade every day.  So happy to get out my juicer again.  This consists of kale, lemons, apples, romaine and some ginger.  Not unlike green lemonade we've had on other diets sampled in the past month.  Very refreshing and the nutrients seem to feed the body so that cravings disappear.  Quite amazing, I think.  I give this a B.

The Raw Rainbow Salad with Carrot-Ginger Dressing was a nice slaw type salad.  For those of you that have been here for awhile - you know I'm not the biggest fan of slaw.  Typical with cabbage, carrots, and some yellow bell peppers on some mesclun greens.  What sets this slaw apart is the Carrot-ginger dressing.  This is a lovely dressing - made with carrots, ginger some vinegar, oil, garlic and sweetener.  This also gets a B.

I ended up not making the Power Soup since I had a wonderful dinner invite where my hosts - avid readers of my blog - made a spectacular vegan dinner of lentil soup and the best collard roll ups I've had in awhile. Two types even!  One with quinoa and the other with hummus.  Excellent friends!

Finally - I did make the oh so yummy Raw Chocolate Ice Cream that consists of some sweetener, cocoa, bananas and dates and enough ice to make it of an ice cream consistency.  This is quite wonderful and worthy of taking to a gathering where you wonder if there's a dessert you are willing to eat and not completely blow your diet.    This definitely gets an A from me.

Here's the summary and a teaser... I had a soup for dinner tonight that's one of the best things I've ever made!  Be sure to check back tomorrow for the summary since I know I'll be making this one again and I'll bet you'll want to try it too!  Until tomorrow.

Recipes
Name Category Diet Day Page number   Rating
Green Lemonade Drink Raw Detox one 48 B
Raw Rainbow Salad Salad Raw Detox one 125 B
Raw Chocolate Ice Cream Dessert Raw Detox one 164 A



 

No comments:

Post a Comment